Friday, January 20, 2012

The Chumlee of Animal Planet

Why, I don't know, but we were watching an episode of "Finding Bigfoot" on Animal Planet when one of the gung-ho seekers reminded me of Chumlee from "Pawn Stars" on The History Channel.  My poor, unsuspecting wife tried not to choke after that quip.  Yet, the Bigfoot quest took me back to my childhood, at the Canna Theater, in Gillespie, Illinois, where my love of movies originated.  Sometimes the movie was merely the vehicle for the real entertainment off-screen.  Thankfully, the statute of limitations on Lemonhead throwing has passed.  One of those movies that I remember was "The Legend of Boggy Creek," a low-budget, reality-type film about reported sightings of a Bigfoot-esque beast in the Arkansas wilderness.  I don't remember my impressions of the film, but I probably thought it was cool.  The biggest scare I ever had in a movie was also in that theater during the scene in "Jaws" when the severed head pops out of the hole in the boat.  Try not to flinch at first pass on that one.  Another scary moment at the Canna Theater was in Burnt Offerings (1976), when Oliver Reed goes to the attic to say farewell to Mrs. Allardyce.  When the old woman in the black dress seated in front of the attic window turned out to be his wife, well, that got me.  Still does, though it is hard to find.  Burnt Offerings was directed by Dan Curtis of "Dark Shadows" fame.  I hear Johnny Depp is cast as Barnabas Collins in a Dark Shadows movie that should be good.  If they ever find Bigfoot, some royalties are due.

1 comment: